Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Emotional Typhoon Haiyan Speech By Philippines Delegate



Published Nov 11, 2013

Transcript:
0:00
My country is being tested by this hellstorm called super typhoon Haiyan. We remain uncertain
0:06
as to the full extent of the damage and devastation as information trickles in in an agonizingly
0:13
slow manner because power lines and communication lines are cut off and may take a while before
0:19
they are restored. The initial assessment shows that Haiyan left a wake of massive destruction
0:25
that is unprecedented, unthinkable and horrific. And the devastation is staggering. I struggle
0:37
to find words even for the images that we see on the news coverage and I struggle to
0:43
find words to describe how I feel about the losses. Up to this hour, I agonize, waiting
0:53
for word for the fate of my very own relatives. What gives me renewed strength and great relief
1:01
is that my own brother has communicated to us and he has survived the onslaught. I speak
1:08
for my delegation, but I speak for the countless people who will no longer be able to speak
1:18
for themselves after perishing from the storm. I speak also for those who have been orphaned
1:25
by the storm. I speak for those people now racing against time to save survivors and
1:32
alleviate the suffering of the people affected. We can take drastic action now to ensure that
1:37
we prevent a future where super typhoons become a way of life. Can we ever attain the ultimate
1:43
objective of the convention - which is to prevent dangerous and tropogenic interference
1:49
with a climate system. By failing to meet the objective of the convention, we may have
1:54
ratified our own doom. We have to confront the issue of loss and damage. Loss and damage
2:02
is a reality today across the world. We cannot solve climate change when we seek to spew
2:07
more emissions. In solidarity with my countrymen who are struggling to find food back home,
2:12
and with my brother who has not had food for the last three days, with all due respect,
2:16
Mr. President - and I mean no disrespect for your kind hospitality - I will now commence
2:24
a voluntary fasting for the climate. This means I will voluntarily refrain from eating
2:30
food during this cop until a meaning outcome is in sight. Until concrete pledges have been
2:37
made to ensure mobilization of resources for the green climate fund. We cannot afford cop
2:43
with an empty GCF. Until the promise of an operalization of a loss and damage mechanism
2:49
has been fulfilled. Until there is a assurance and financial adaptation. Until we see real
2:54
ambition on climate action in accordance with the principles we have so upheld. Mr. President,
3:01
this process has been called a farce. It has been called an annual carbon intensive gathering
3:07
of useless frequent fliers. It has also been called saving tomorrow today. We can fix this.
3:14
We can stop
3:45
this madness. (Applause) Thank you Philippines for your great speech. It’s always hard
3:46
to attribute a single weather event to climate change, but we know that science is also clear
3:52
that climate change will mean more intense typhoons, potentially. Even if we cannot attribute
3:58
Haiyan to climate change directly, my country refuses to accept a future where super typhoons
4:03
will become a regular fixture.

No comments: